5 Glanvilles Mill, Ivybridge Devon PL21 9PS

Mon - Fri: 9am - 5.30pm
Sat: 10am - 1pm
Sunday: CLOSED

Click here to see our landlord fees

Why Choose Us?
We are Ivybridge's only dedicated Letting Agent.

Whether you are letting a property for the first time, or already work with an existing property portfolio, we are able to provide unrivalled expertise in our market place, aiming to maximise returns on investment whilst exceeding your expectations on all levels of service.

We provide

  • A friendly and professional service
  • Excellent communication and free professional advice
  • Three great levels of great service
  • Efficient collection and forwarding of rental payments
  • Extensive property marketing to attract suitable tenants quickly
  • Experts in our field and specialise solely in lettings

Your Home Let delivers a highly professional and efficient residential letting and management service to Landlords and Tenants in Ivybridge, Plymouth and surrounding areas.

Whilst embracing the principles of quality customer care, our aim is to provide unrivalled expertise in our market place, backed by a team of fully dedicated professionals and extensive property marketing.

Having invested greatly in training, marketing and property management software; we are very well placed to provide the most efficient service possible.

In order to maximise property exposure, our website is updated on a daily basis and our properties are listed on market leading property websites.

How will Your Home Let manage my investment?

We aim to provide a smooth running and consistent service where the property is continuously let and maintained. The aim is to keep the property in the same condition it is at the beginning of a lease until the end. Of course, in reality, tenanted properties are prone to additional wear and tear, and in situations where this may affect the rental value, we shall contact you to suggest possible remedies to recover the lost value. We will also deal with any direct maintenance issues with the tenant, arranging any maintenance work or repairs where it is proven that the landlord is responsible.

First Stages of Renting Your Property

Free Valuation

We will view the property initially to assess its rental value. At this point, we will answer any questions you may have and determine the most suitable service to meet your requirements. Also we will be able to make recommendations where necessary that could potentially increase the rental value of your property. Our advice at this point is completely free and aimed at making sure you have a firm understanding of all your obligations before proceeding to let your property.

Marketing your property

Once you have decided to appoint us as your agent, one of our representatives will visit the property in order to take some internal and external photographs. We shall use the photographs and the information we have collected to create an attractive advert, which we shall display whilst marketing your property.

In order to maximise property exposure, our website is updated daily and our properties are listed on market leading property portals.

Our highly trained and efficient staff will make sure that the best service is delivered to both the landlord and tenant. No let, no fee.

Presenting the property

As the lettings market becomes more and more competitive, it is important that the property is presented in the best way possible. Without this, the property could remain empty for longer as well as affect its rental value.

To help a rental property appeal to a wider market, we would suggest the following:

  • Keep the colours in the property neutral.
  • Gardens must be kept maintained (when a tenant occupies the property, the maintenance of the garden becomes their responsibility).
  • Keep the equipment provided and furnishings as contemporary as possible.
  • Check for any grouting issues in places such as the bathroom. Any mould issues here can really effect a prospective tenant's decision to rent the property.
  • If the property is a flat with a communal entrance and hallway, make sure that for the benefit of all tenants that this area is kept tidy and clear of debris at all times.
  • Double glazing and gas central heating is another popular feature amongst prospective tenants.
  • In general, try to find and rectify any damages around the property that can be seen easily or experienced.

Important Safety and Legal Requirements

Gas Safety

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 state landlords must ensure that gas appliances, fittings and flues are safe for the tenant’s use and that installation, maintenance and annual safety checks are carried out by a technician registered with the Gas Safety Register (which superseded CORGI on 1st April 2009). The landlord must keep a record of the safety check for two years. They must issue a copy to each existing tenant within 28 days of the check being completed and issue a copy to any new tenants before they move in. If your property requires a gas safety certificate and you do not have one, Your Home Let can arrange for a fully qualifies Gas Safe engineer to carry out an inspection. Please ask for further details.

Electrical Safety

From 2020 Landlords are legally obligated to have an electrical installation condition report (EICR) carried out at the property. It is important to note that Your Home Let cannot allow a tenancy to start without a valid Electrical Installation Condition Report. If your property does not have an EICR, Your Home Let can arrange one for you. Please ask for further details.

All electrical certification should be carried out by a competent electrician who is registered with the Electrical Safety Register. You will need a Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR)

Fire Safety

The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 (as amended in 1989 and 1993) sets minimum fire resistance standards for domestic upholstered furniture, furnishings and other products containing upholstery that remain in a dwelling during the course of a tenancy.

These include any of the following which contain upholstery:

  • Furniture intended for private use in a dwelling, including children's furniture
  • Beds, head-boards of beds, mattresses (of any size)
  • Sofa-beds, futons and other convertibles
  • Nursery furniture, garden furniture suitable for use in a dwelling
  • Scatter cushions, pillows, seat pads and loose and stretch covers for furniture

The Regulations do not apply to:

  • furniture made before 1950
  • sleeping bags
  • bed-clothes (including duvets)
  • loose covers for mattresses
  • pillowcases
  • curtains
  • carpets

For items that do apply, a suitable label must be attached to the furniture in a prominent position so that the label will be clearly visible to a potential purchaser of the furniture and the wording on both sides can be read with reasonable ease. Any item that does not conform will be noted by the Inventory provider and will need to be removed. Please ask for further details.

Smoke Alarms & Carbon Monoxide Detectors

After 1st October 2015 the landlord must ensure that a smoke alarm is equipped on each storey of the premises on which there is a room used wholly or partly as living accommodation. Additionally, landlords must ensure that there is a carbon monoxide alarm fitted in any room that is used partly or wholly as living accommodation which also contains any appliance which burns, or is capable of burning, solid fuel. This would include log and coal burning stoves and open fires. If your property does not have the required alarms, Your Home Let can arrange for these to be supplied and fitted. Please ask for further details.

Energy Performance Certificate

With effect from April 2018, all new tenancies require an Energy Performance Certificate to A, B, C, D or E rating. Their purpose is to determine how energy efficient homes are on a scale of A-G. The most efficient homes - which should have the lowest fuel bills - are in band A. The certificate uses the same scale to define the impact a home has on the environment. Better-rated homes should have less impact through carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions. The average property in the UK is in bands D-E for both ratings.

The certificate includes recommendations on ways to improve the home's energy efficiency to save money and help the environment. If your property does not have an EPC, Your Home Let can arrange for this to be obtained. Please ask for further details.

Obtaining the tenants and referencing

Arguably, the most important factor when letting the property is the prospective tenant. The whole success of letting depends on finding the right tenant. If an applicant wishes to proceed with a tenancy, we will assess their suitability.

The references aim to check that each tenant is creditworthy by for example checking for CCJ’s and arrears and obtaining employer, landlord and character references. Once references have been received, we will contact you to confirm the results of this and advise of the proposed checking in date.

All necessary legal paperwork, including an inventory prepared by a fully qualifies APIP inventory clerk, will be prepared and signed and any outstanding balances settled by the tenant before the tenancy commences.


Your Home Let will provide a full Inventory and Schedule of Condition Report compiled in-house as we are members of The Association of Professional Inventory Providers (APIP). This inventory provides a fair and accurate record of the contents of the property and their condition. It also records the condition of the fabric of the internal and external parts of the property. Photographs are taken to show the condition of items / décor at the time of the check in. These photographs shall be kept on file during the tenancy. At the check-out assessment the APIP Clerk will attend to make a comparative assessment of the property against the inventory/check–in. If there are any additional damages that fall beyond the definition of “fair wear and tear”, it is possible that deductions may be made from the deposit before it is returned to the tenant/s.

Deposit Warranty

Instead of a tenant providing a maximum of five weeks rent by way of deposit held in a government-backed scheme, we now give the tenant the option of taking out a Deposit Warranty policy. This allows them to pay for a policy in your name that provides you with more benefits than the standard deposit scheme. The tenant is still liable for any dilapidation or missed rent to the maximum of five weeks rent. 

The Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme

Under the provisions of the Housing Act 2004 every landlord or letting agent that takes a deposit for an Assured Short-hold Tenancy in England and Wales must join a Tenancy Deposit Scheme. The new regulations came into effect from April 6, 2007. The purpose of this regulation is to ensure good practice. The secondary purpose of the new regulations is to try and keep disputes between landlords and tenants out of the courts by encouraging Alternative Dispute Resolution.

In November 2006, three companies were awarded contracts by The Government to run Tenancy Deposit Schemes:

Custodial scheme

The Deposit Protection Service (The DPS) Your Home Let uses this service.

Insurance backed schemes

Tenancy Deposit Solutions Ltd (TDSL), now trading as My Deposits.
The Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS)

Landlord Insurance

Through our association with the specialist landlords’ insurer, we can offer comprehensive buildings insurance, rental income guarantee and contents insurance.

Not only does the comprehensive building insurance protect against all the things you would expect, but it is also there to help with a lot more including:

Loss of rent and re-letting costs following flood or fire to the property up to 30% of the insured amount
The rebuilding of your property following loss or Damage
Owner’s property liability of £5 million

Please ask for further details.

Landlord Insurance

Should I inform anyone else that I intend to let my property?

Yes, if the property is mortgaged, the bank or building society must be made aware of the intention to let the property. They will generally require details of the tenancy before giving their approval. Where the property is leasehold, the freeholder must also be informed of any intentions to let the property. It is also important that the contents and buildings insurer is made aware of any tenancy. Certain terms and conditions may need to be applied in order to keep the policy valid.

Should I let my property furnished or unfurnished?

Experience tells us that the preference is generally for an unfurnished accommodation and a furnished property doesn't necessarily increase a properties rental value. Where possible, we would advise landlords to offer their property unfurnished, however be ready to offer some basic furnishings on request. We would advise that if the property is to be let furnished, it should include items such as sofas, tables, basic kitchen appliances, wardrobes, beds, curtains and carpets however all must comply with current fire regulations.

Overseas Landlords and Income Tax

The scheme requires UK letting agents to deduct basic rate tax from any rent they collect for non-resident landlords. If non-resident landlords don't have UK letting agents acting for them, it is their responsibility to inform the Inland Revenue of rental income received and to pay any tax due. Non-resident landlords can apply at any time for approval to receive rent with no tax deducted.

If your intention is to reside abroad then we can offer the following services:

Arrange for annual rental accounts to be prepared by a local firm of chartered accountants and be submitted to the Inland Revenue at the end of each tax year. Details available on request.

Tax saving schemes relating to earned income abroad and the possibilities of re-investing your income to receive tax-free interest. Again, we have the expert advice of a firm of financial consultants on hand. Details are available.

Houses in Multiple Occupancy

If the landlord wishes to rent their property to multiple occupants, it may mean that a licence is required before the property can be legally rented. Houses in Multiple Occupation are also referred to as “HMOs” and the purpose of the licensing scheme is to improve management and safety standards in this area of the rental sector.

It is now a mandatory duty for:

    • All Local Authorities to have a licensing scheme
    • Owners of certain types of HMOs to have a licence
    • A HMO is a building or part of a building which meets one of the following tests:
      • A - The standard test
      • Any building in which two or more households share basic amenities. For example toilets, kitchens, and bathrooms.
      • B - The self-contained flat test
      • Any flat in which two or more households share basic amenities. For example toilets, kitchens, and bathrooms.
      • C - The converted building test
      • Any converted building comprised of one or more units of accommodation that are not self-contained.
      • D - Certain converted block of flats
      • Any converted building comprised of self-contained flats that does not meet the 1991 Building Regulation Standards, and more than one third of the flats are occupied on short tenancies.
    • A House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) MUST have a licence if it fits:
      • A - The Standard test Or
      • C - The Converted building test
      • And
      • It is more than 3 storeys high (this includes basement and attic rooms)


      It has five or more people living there
    • And
    • The 5 people make up more than one household (family unit)

For further information on houses in multiple occupation and how this may affect you as a landlord, please speak to one of our representatives

Click to view our Client Money Protection certificate

Click to view the Client Money Protection conduct & membership rules

NAEA Property Redress Scheme Deposit Protection Scheme Zoopla